DISCLAIMER: This software is released AS-IS with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. Use of this software (and the Qt environment) may violate the terms of your Kindle service and/or warranty. Also, the Qt environment may interfere with future Kindle software updates from Amazon. The installation of this software indicates your knowledge and acceptance of these risks.The Qt environment and Sudoku only add new features not previously present in the Kindle platform-- they do not replace or supercede standard Kindle functionality. They are not derivative works but are instead transformative in nature.
The Sudoku! Free Edition game is for personal use only, do not redistribute it. The Qt platform
proof-of-concept plugins are LGPL licensed and can therefore be used with your
own Kindle apps, personal or commercial. (as long as you follow the terms of that license)
UPDATE: There's a newer set of these that may work for the older firmware here. Please let me know if they work for you and I'll replace the official links below. h1uke helped make the newer firmware packages possible.
Pick a set of install packages for your Kindle:
- Kindle 2 Global Wireless with v2.3 firmware: [Qt k2i] [Qt plugins k2i] [Sudoku! k2i]
- Kindle 2 U.S. Wireless with v2.3 firmware: [Qt k2u] [Qt plugins k2u] [Sudoku! k2u]
- Kindle DX Global Wireless with v2.3 firmware: [Qt dxi] [Qt plugins dxi] [Sudoku! dxi]
- Kindle DX U.S. Wireless with v2.3 firmware: [Qt dxu] [Qt plugins dxu] [Sudoku! dxu]
Please note that I have only been able to test the Kindle DX U.S. Wireless version with v2.3 firmware, and the Kindle 2 Global Wiress version with v2.3 firmware. I'm not sure how well it will work on other Kindle units or software versions. Please go to the Settings page and check your firmware version at the bottom right.
The installer will put an uninstall package in the system-kindleqt folder. Just in case, here's another place to get the uninstall packages:
- Kindle 2 Global Wireless: [uninstall Qt plugins Sudoku k2i] [uninstall only Sudoku k2i]
- Kindle 2 U.S. Wireless: [uninstall Qt plugins Sudoku k2u] [uninstall only Sudoku k2u]
- Kindle DX Global Wireless: [uninstall Qt plugins Sudoku dxi] [uninstall only Sudoku dxi]
- Kindle DX U.S. Wireless: [uninstall Qt plugins Sudoku dxu] [uninstall only Sudoku dxu]
No modifications were necessary to the Qt libraries themselves. Source code for the Qt libraries can be downloaded from http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/
Here is a Qt sample app project with the source code and scripts for packaging you'll need to get started. This should be used with the packager you can download from the MobileRead forums. To use it, compile it in a cross-compiling environment (like Scratchbox) and copy the binary to the packages/install folder. Run (on Unix, anyway) the make_sample.sh script in the packages folder (extract the packager tool from the MobileRead forums there), which will simplify the creation of the install and uninstall packages for you. Once installed, the hotkey D + M (for demo) will start it for you.